Thursday, June 11, 2009

Social Media

So I'm at an interesting point with Social Media, well as least with Twitter (guess that can be said as its the only one I can get at my main job).








I love being able to see ideas, questions, comments, and cool new innovative ways to do things by people around the world. The struggle I'm facing is, do I continue to embrace this "technology" or do I run from it? So many people have only 1 account that they use for both their ministry/industry as well as for their personal lives. Some people have taken the route of having two with one devoted to ministry or industry and the other for personal friends/followers.

I question if my time is well spent reading/following the people who post things about being unable to sleep, can't find this or that, or other "personal" things that truly appeal to me, they may a points have things though that are very important or necessary for me to see. I don't mind the occasional but I guess i'm also personally starting to revamp how I use things like Twitter. I started using it for both personal and work stuff, but now am revamping gradually ( it takes time, its an addiction) to use it just for work/ministry/things that make me grow.


So what do I do? Help!

What do you do when you want to see what a person has to saw, but really don't want to filter through their personal life? Do you unfollow? What if its a person close to you that you need to know things from? What is the proper etiquette? Do people actually notice or care if you unfollow them? Should we all adopt a way of using Twitter? I know its designed for quick updates of whats going on in life, but have we gone to far? Is there certain way that I can find a way to easily filter on the web, pc and mac out the stuff I don't care about?

I'm a computer nerd at heart and find it hard to figure out how to handle this. I'm afraid I might miss something I need to hear or know . I'm trying to figure out a personal motive and proper use of Twitter, ect. Sort of my own guidelines on how to use it.

I've backed off from Facebook a ton, and since I have limited access to things at my primary job its hard to manage what little information I do get.

Have we as a society gone too far?

What reasons are we using Twitter and similar services? Is it just to show off and lets others see how busy and important we are? How cool we are? Is it to boost our own frail ego's? Or are we truly seeking to share knowledge and information and ideas? I honestly think there are people on both sides of the gamut. I hope that people realize i'm trying to share information and stuff. I have nothing to boast of. Honestly I know few people who truly care that deeply about my personal life to really be interested in my Twitter feed.... I do try to share some tips or techniques that I've found minsitry/industry wise. I think we as users of technology have to be ware of the dangers of the technology. Not just dangers for us but others. I think it could potentially become a stalker/crime issue, people are basically being peeping toms into our lives, there is no bounds unless you secure your updates.
The Internet is truly blurring the public and private sectors of our lives. We need to make a decision as the user of where that line will stop. As a parent I have to make that decision as I need to protect my family.
Think about it.... Does everyone have to know what your doing at all times? where you are? Where I am at? Are we that stinking important? Think of this..... We the general public have no exact clue where the President is always at..... He's a bit more important than we are....

Whats your thoughts? Comments? Questions? Ideas?

I know I'm being a bit extreme but I think its something we all need to serious think about....

~tfkr

No comments: