Thursday, January 25, 2007

Hello?? Are you listening?


Listening.......

The TV commecial for Verizon Wireless just jumped into my head. "Can you hear me? Can you hear me now?"...... My men's small group that meets bright and early on Thursdays (6:30am), right when our local Panera opens, was talking today about hearing God's voice.

Sometimes I don't take the time to listen to others, I mean truly listen to them. I may hear what they say, but I don't hear their heart. I know that I'm not only missing what those around me are saying, but also what God is saying.

Ok what do I mean? Well i know that I'm not spending time in solitude, in reading His Word, I'm not quieting my heart to hear His Heart........ I've let myself get so busy with my Job, my education, my family, my pursuit of my career (Yes to me right now my job and career are two different things), and TV. I have let these things become a distraction. I have not give God who gave me life, the attention and respsect that He deserves.

Psalm 46:10-11 reads: "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations; I will be exalted in the earth! The Lord of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah" (NIV)

I haven't been taken the time to be still, to listen, to quite my heart. I have forgetten to lay all my problems and worries down at God's feet. I haven't rest in God's arms.

So what am I to do?
-Ask friends for accountability in "being still".
-Make time, plan time into my schedule to be still.
-Make my schedule more firm so that I don't feel pressured by the things in my life.
-Trust God to hold me, and to speak to me in the silence.
So friends, I challenge you to look at your time, are you making time for the Creator of the universe? Are you able to challenge me? Can I challenge you? Don't put off doing it today, as you never know what tommorrow may bring.......

in HIS hands,
~tfkr

2 comments:

Remy said...

I'm absolutely amazed at the context of Psalm 46:

"Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts....He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear, he burns the shields with fire."

It's like God is cutting in on all of man's important activities, saying "No, actually I am in charge here. My plan is more important than yours."

I just heard a speaker say that we need room for interruptions. This is our chance to be interrupted by something actually meaningful that wants to cut in on our drudgery. Let's wake up from this "meaningless" lifestyle (Ecclesiastes 1) and let's be interrupted by the God who shakes the earth, and who is our refuge.

David Korff said...

Tim, you are not alone in your struggle. Much of what you said applies to me as well. I will lift up your struggle to the Lord and will try to challenge on the rare occasion that we actually see each other now...
Until Later
David K.