Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Attitude and Words

Philippians 2:5-11 (NIV)
“Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, But made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death – even death on a cross. Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, And ever tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

Recently I have noticed issues with attitudes and how people are being treated. A lot of this is in my own attitude towards others, work, ect. But I have also seen it in those around me and the way that others are treated and the way they react in situations. It is so hard to sit by and watch as someone you care about it belittled or hurt by another persons words. It’s not just the words that hurt but it is the attitude behind those words that make such an impact. I have had to withdraw myself from people and situations when I knew that my attitude was not right and that I could not stand to be near the attitudes of others. I know that this may not be the most appropriate thing in some peoples eyes, but I know that in these situations if I do not withdraw that I will lash out and in turn my attitude will not be one that is pleasing to God.
Tied into this is the issue of the tongue obviously. James 1:26 (NIV) states, “If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight reign on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.” I think that so often people do not realize how much the words they say hurt. They may not think that they are hurtful and instead think that they are helping the person with the project or task they are working on, but instead the way that words are said stab the person deeply.

I think that we all need to review our attitude and the way that we use our words. I think that we often say way more than is necessary and in turn deeply wound and injure those around us. As Christian’s we are meant to be God’s agents of healing, speaking the truth in love, and building the community. By using words that injure we are not healing nor building the community. Truth in love is not something that happens everyday but when we are dealing with a fellow believer who is struggling with sin or areas in their life which need to be corrected or dealt with as they are not pleasing to God.

So final thought: When dealing with anyone, check the attitude you have and are using in your conversation, and also check, your words. The psychological injury from words is a painful one, one that takes along time to heal from. Be Christ with flesh on.

~tfkr

1 comment:

Jroberts00 said...

couldn't agree more.